Teaneck Blog

Casting a wary eye on Teaneck politics and municipal affairs

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

No thanks, Assemblyman

Could there be a worse time for Assemblyman John Burzichelli's recent legislative push? With school districts across the state and the taxpayers who support them tapped out amid declining aid from Trenton, Burzichelli seeks to compel districts to absorb even more of the costs of extracurricular activities by outlawing activity fees.

Not only is this legislation poorly timed, but it is also unjustified. Burzichelli's rationale for further limiting schools' flexibility in managing their finances is presented in today's Record:

"In my mind, public education is not a thing that should have user fees attached to it," Burzichelli said. "Any time you create a law where someone may not be able to afford to participate, a child may have less of an education than the person next to them, based on ability to pay."

We're not talking about supplemental fees for English class here. One can get a solid high school education even without playing junior varsity field hockey. However, by denying schools the right to charge parents and students for extracurricular activities, Burzichelli is not leveling the playing field so much as he is closing it entirely. Activity fees are charged in order to expand schools' ability to offer certain peripheral activities for interested students. If Burzichelli is upset by the fact that certain individuals find these fees onerous, he might direct his energies toward finding private sponsors for these supplementary programs instead of telling schools and taxpayers that they must either eat all of the costs or lose the programs entirely.

No need for bake sales or carwashes, it has to be free or it has got to go


11 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one think that Teaneck should charge a fee for kids to play in school sports!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about this issue -- while I would love to see the school system get some financial help in running their very impressive myriad of clubs and sports, I would only favor it if there were a revolving fund set up with contributions from foundations and businesses who want to ensure that no child is left behind for the lack of a user fee. All the volunteer sports organizations (TBO, TSSL, TJSL, Junior Highwaymen, etc.) have this type of setup, I believe, and we have quite a number of children whose families would be unable to pay this.

Philosophically, I agree with the legislator in that public education is meant to ensure a level playing field of opportunity, and no matter how conservatives rant and rave about just funding core curriculum, the extracurriculars also play a huge part in keeping kids involved in school and widening their exposure to future options beyond high school.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picture caption:

No need for bake sales or carwashes, it has to be free or it has got to go

I realize this probably wasn't written with as much thought as the main post, but I think this caption misrepresents the import of the proposed bill and may even have it exactly backwards.

We'll have to see the Assemblyman's bill when it's introduced, but I doubt it will mandate that local boards provide full funding for extra-curricular activities or prohibit boards from cutting funding. All it would do is prohibit the assessment of activity fees to individual students and their families.

If additional monies were needed to keep an activity afloat, you might indeed see more bake sales, car washes and other fundraisers, since the school could not individually assess the students' families. Likewise, one might expect to see greater efforts on the part of both parents and schools (not Burzichelli obviously) to find private sponsors for these programs.

Personally, I'm inclined to think we should allow home rule to rule in this case, with individual districts deciding its own policy on activity fees. I don't know if they place an undue burden on any family in Ridgewood (maybe they do), but they might in Teaneck without hardship exemptions. Whether or not the exemption process puts some familes in an awkward position, as Burzichelli feels, is a question that would deserve some careful consideration.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In practice, fees might catalyze even more spending on education.

I know one example where a district assessed fees on busing in order to keep the "budget" below the state cap.

If the fee option is accepted and popular, it might put less pressure on keeping other costs under control.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With school districts across the state and the taxpayers who support them tapped out ...

Guess the blogger doesn't know what the term "tapped out" means.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOd knows I am "tapped out"...and I say enough is enough - let the parents of these kids support them in their sports activities and any other activitie that requires extra funds!!!!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were tapped out you wouldn't be sending your kids to private school.

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon-
Sure I would I have to pay an extra 10K-15K per year to send my kids to school...we view education as a very important thing.
I guess we could move to another town with better schools but my house is paid for so why would I want to do that??!!
I do not feel that teaneck offers the type or level of education that I want for my kids...so the only option I do have is to send my kids to private school.
Now the school still gets my tax $$ and they dont have to educate a kid what a bonus...I guess my money is helping some football player commute between games?!?!

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also that is the reason we are tapped out...I guess if the schools here where better I might not be so tapped out :-)

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tapped out" does not mean you're well to do but you spend alot.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well to do????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home